Sunday, January 9, 2011

Moving, Unpacking, and Preparing

After spending much of my wonderful Christmas break anticipating tomorrow, I have finally moved to Cary (as of today), have unpacked most of my things, and am prepared for my first day of internship.  I mean, as prepared as someone who has never driven in Durham traffic (let alone in winter weather) can possibly be.  I have laid my 'first day outfit' out, packed my lunch, and put together my bag for tomorrow.  Maybe I am overly prepared?  But how can you possibly nonchalantly walk into an opportunity like this?  I feel nervous, excited, and so many other emotions right now!  Tomorrow I will literally begin my career.  This internship carries a lot of weight into future job recommendations and possibly even a job offer. 

I continuously pray for the children and families that I will come into contact with...I hope that all of the knowledge and experience I have stored up will be adequately meet their needs.  I pray that I will remain positive...even in the darkest of situations (particularly death).  I also pray that I will keep things in perspective...that this is NOT ABOUT ME.  This experience is about the children and families I will have an opportunity to assist.  I also pray for confidence...in this job you often have to advocate for the needs of the patient over the will of the medical team, and this can often hurt your rapport with your co-workers.  I fear that I may face a situation in which I choose pleasing those who surround me day after day rather than acting in the best interest of the child.

My biggest fear is probably the winter weather that is scheduled to hit Durham tomorrow afternoon.  I am not familiar with Durham or its accompanying traffic, which will be even worse when winter weather is added into the equation.  Please pray that those drivers surrounding me will drive smartly and safely, as I also will be.

I am SO EXCITED about tomorrow, and will update you as I am able.  All I know right now is that I will be rotating through each unit for a few hours per day, and will begin my inpatient rotation next week. 

"In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand"

2 comments:

  1. praying for you Emily! LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, good luck! I know how nerve wracking it can be, but it is also so exciting! You are going to do great. You did great at ECU and I feel sure you will only do better at Duke. You will change the lives of more patients and families then you will ever know and it will also change yours in more ways then you can imagine! It was a whirlwind of emotions that I experienced for 20 straight weeks and I was sad to leave it all behind just a matter of weeks ago. But...I bring with me the experiences and the joy that I gained from doing this internship. So, go out there, be you and you can only succeed from there! Don't let the other CCLS or interdisciplinary team intimidate you! Remember throughout your entire internship and onward that YOU are just as important as the Dr. standing right next to you. And although they may not think that, know that it's true and they'll learn to respect you and your job! HAVE FUN and I can't wait to hear all about it.

    Katherine Lamb

    ReplyDelete